- Stirring and mixing by eddies in the western boundary currents and the Southern Ocean.
- Satellite oceanography from altimeter, fidelity of coupled/oceanic models, and mechanisms for model bias.
- Banded structures in low-frequency eddies (striations): their amplitude, origin, and consequences in mixing and energetics.
- Oceanic energetics, such as source/sinks of eddy energy and energy cascades.
- Interaction between oceanic eddies and other components of the climate system (e.g. large-scale circulation and ice).
- Marginal seas (e.g. the Red Sea).
- B.S., June, 2006: Ocean University of China,
- Ph.D., Feb. 2013: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) Joint Program