Distinguished Professor of Geophysics
- The behavior of the ancient geomagnetic field: How long has the geomagnetic field been essentially dipolar? Why does the magnetic field reverse? How strong can the magnetic field get? How fast can it change?
- Statistical analysis of paleomagnetic data.
- Applications of paleomagnetic data to geological problems such as: The use of paleomagnetic data for geochronological control. The use of paleointensity variations as an additional magnetostratigraphic tool.
- Rock fabrics: The use of paleomagnetic data in structural and tectonic problems
Paleomagnetism; Rock magnetism; Magnetostratigraphy; Paleointensity; Archaeomagnetism; ancient geomagnetic field
- B.S., Yale University
- M.A., Columbia University
- Ph.D., Columbia University